Sunday 6 April 2014

The Myth of 'The One'








“We have to allow ourselves to be loved by the people who really love us, the people who really matter. Too much of the time, we are blinded by our own pursuits of people to love us, people that don't even matter, while all that time we waste and the people who do love us have to stand on the sidewalk and watch us beg in the streets! It's time to put an end to this. It's time for us to let ourselves be loved.” ― C. Joy Bell 


"The One." Sounds romantic, doesn't it? If I had a dollar for every time I announced I found the one, I'd be a rich woman. Of all the unlimited choices in the entire universe, do you really think that the universal forces would only limit us to making a true connection with one person? Think about that for a second. 

 You usually hear about 'The One' when someone makes a deep connection with another person, and suddenly, they can't see themselves living life without each other. 


Not to burst your romantic bubble, but 'The One' is a myth. There isn't just one person for each of us. There are many. Sure, there's "The One right now", but there is always more where that one came from. 


Here's the thing: People grow, evolve, and change. Always have and always will. And, sometimes, we don't grow along with our partners; instead, we grow apart. That's okay. It happens. 

That person that you felt a deep connection with 10 years ago is no longer fitting like a puzzle piece in your life. You are growing apart and realizing that you are leading two separate lives. Or, possibly, a true love has passed on. Now what? 


If I had believed that there was only one person that was meant for me, well, I would be done at the age of 42, because I met him and he passed on. If had believed this myth, I would have already purchased my ten cats and activated my old maid card.  


When someone enters into our lives where we feel a deep connection with them in every way possible (the dots connect and the stars align), we truly believe that this is it for the rest of our lives. He/she is 'The One'. However, people come into our lives at that particular point in time because they are a vibrational match for us at that stage in our lives. 


When I think of my relationship with Trevor and how connected we were, I know that he brought me something very beautiful; something that I needed in my life to show me the beauty of myself. That was his gift to me, and I'm so very grateful for it. 


Don't go into a relationship thinking that this is 'The One'. Go into a relationship with the thought that you are having a beautiful experience. It may last a lifetime, or it may last two weeks. When it's ending, know that it's okay to let it go, and fill yourself with gratitude for the amazing gift that you received.  


No comments:

Post a Comment